Skip to main content

Baby Jet still takes penalties despite.... And I can too!

Presenting any programme on JOY FM, Ghana’s leading English language radio cannot be an easy task for anyone. I’m yet to meet anyone with that view.  When it comes to news – it’s serious business just like all the other programmes on your Super station. From the days of ace anchor Matilda Asante to the tops-turvy edition with former Accra police PRO DSP Freeman Tettey, presenting news on Joy FM is challenging. 

So why is that so?

Some say it’s the magnitude of the platform, others say it’s the discerning listeners’ unpardonable desire for quality.
Whatever the reason is I can only say it is a privilege and an opportunity to work at JOY fm and of course Multimedia Group.From my days at JOY FM as an intern to a reporter, I have worked with some world class professionals who have rubbed off me consciously or not. A key learning that has run through almost all of these interactions has been to never stop learning. I have come to understand failure begins when you stop learning. You must learn something every day.

Hosting the Joy Midday News came to me unexpectedly in a conversation I’d rather say little or nothing about. (I’ll leave that for some other time) Almost a year into the job and I can write endlessly about the experience. You see, it’s not just about reading the news, but as anchor you’re the voice of your news team which is the voice of the citizenry.So the question then is how do you fuse all of these into that personality sitting behind the microphone?  This can be daunting when you have to manage that every day with an audience beyond the borders of Ghana. It makes sense why people get shivers when a microphone is pointed at them.Well for this young journalist it has been and still is Jesus who has kept me going. I’m blessed with a great family which supports me. Plus a world class team of professionals whose contributions to the bulletin daily unleashes in me this wild animal ready to devour.

Presenting the Midday news has drawn me closer to my colleague news makers and this rapport can only be a recipe for success.There have been key learnings with regwrds to leadership coming alongside.  I’ve learnt to keep growing. I have had some interesting interviews – in no special order- ACP Awuntogbe Awuni (police MTTD), Dr Amoako Baah (political science lecturer), Kwesi Amissah Arthur (Vice president) and just recently a member of National Service Board over payroll fraud uncovered. ACP Awuni'sstands out because it turned confrontational when i asked him if police officers claimed tomhave extorted money from the public would stop just because they had been tranferred to another region as  punishment.  So some of these were tough, perhaps the interviewees were difficult or I may have been aggressive.What is important is learning lessons for the future. Reflecting on my work is part of my daily ritual. The questions- what if, could it, what/how about, why not, etcetera I’ll continue to mull over them.

Oh yes I cannot leave out feedback and comments  from our wonderful listeners directly to me or virtually through social media, these have helped a great deal.

This has been my experience so far hosting Joy Midday News. The learning process can't really ever stop. But like enthusiastic Asamoah Gyan, no matter your previous experience, no matter how bad your day was, you have to get up and get ready to take that penalty again.Thanks to God, my family, team Joy and you- I will take today's penalty too.

XoxoFrancisca Kakra Forson
(francisca.forson@myjoyonline.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD THINKING DAY: PUT ON YOUR THINKING CAP!

Did you know World thinking day was observed across the world yesterday? Well of course, not everyone would know about it but that doesn’t downplay its significance. This day is especially celebrated annually on February 22 by all Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. So for a developing nation like Ghana what does this day mean to us? I sampled some interesting views from the streets. While some opined that as Ghanaians we were thinking others disagreed. The former group speaks out about the problem being implementation and not the lack of creative ideas from critical thinking. For the latter we cannot be thinking if we are plighted as a nation with the most fundamental problems. They argue we are still struggling with our basic needs. Here are some more interesting opinions I gathered; “we must think outside the box and/or try finishing our thinking within the box, avoid thinking about trivialities and confusing worrying for thinking”. So are you thinking? Is Ghana a thinking nation? Renowne...

“Make your netWORK your net WORTH”

A great man once said smart entrepreneurs make their network their net worth. This means beyond regular income sources you can make money directly or indirectly from the people you meet at social gatherings. It’s not all about having a good chat, good laugh or nibbling on finger foods with some cocktail. You don’t just get to meet prospective clients but people who may have or will direct you to solutions to help grow your business. Business support organization TechnoServe has over the years been offering training and solutions to start ups and growing businesses. At a recent networking event a resource person provided by Technoserve gave this advice. “When you attend a networking soiree or cocktail, walk up to somebody or a group and strike up a conversation.” Tell them about what you do, how you do it etc. Technoserve believes limiting interactions with people already within your circles is disadvantageous to any business. ENGEN is a business plan competition run by Techno...

TEKURA thrills ghanaians at Furnidec fair

Tekura is an emerging brand in the furniture and decor industry.Tekura produces unique and exquisite handcrafted furniture, home accessories and  decorative pieces for local and international markets. At the just ended National Furniture & Decor Fair organized by Xodus communications Tekura stood out as one of many if not the only company with its products uniquely made in Ghana. Visitors passing through admired the unique and beautiful furniture and accessories displayed at the Tekura stand. The great thing about Tekura is their multipurpose products which can fit in every part of the home or office or wherever one desires. Tekura is making Ghana proud with their made in Ghana stools, tables benches, masks, consoles, , mirrors,etc. promoting African art and culture through innovation and creativity. Lets take a quick look at Tekura's background. Tekura was founded in 2000 by husband and wife, Mr. Emmanuel Kweku Forson and Mrs. Josephine Mensah Forson. ...